How to Surplus Excess Property


Is the Property Yours to Surplus?

For inventorial equipment, if the equipment has a "Property of US Government" tag, it may not be disposed of as surplus. If you don't see a property tag or are unsure who has title, please contact, or (831) 459-4066.

Is Your Property Saleable?

Property is considered not saleable if it is obselete, if it needs to be repaired or if it is not functional. Surplus Services can pick-up and dispose of these items either through e-waste, recycling or landfill services.

If your property is saleable, please fill out a UCSC Surplus Request Form and email it to, along with your request for Surplus Pickup.

Is Your Property Large or Heavy?

If the item or item(s) are very large or heavy, and you need us to pick it up for you, please let us know the dimensions and approximate weight so we can come prepared with the proper equipment. Please also note if the items have wheels, or if they are too large to go through the door frame.

For Inventorial Property

Please Complete an Equipment Inventory Modification Request-EIMR. (If you get a 'Please Wait' notice for this form, right click and save it to your comptuer.)

  • If the property is saleable, check the "OTHER" box in the Transactions section and write in "Sell through Surplus".
  • If the property isn't saleable, check Box 23: "Destroy/cannibalize" in the Transactions section.
  • Have the EIMR signed by an authorizing person in the department.
  • Email the completed form to
  • Email the completed form to, along with your request for Surplus Pickup.

If You are Surplusing a Vehicle


  • Include on your UCSC Surplus Request Form the vehicle's UCSC Property Number and the Mileage at the time of release to Surplus.
  • Email the completed form to
  • Please bring the vehicle and the vehicle's keys to Fleet Services to avoid future Fleet charges

Equipment management and Risk Services (for insurance purposes) are not notified until both the vehicle and the paperwork have been submitted and processed 

Be sure to remove any personal items or debris from the vehicle prior to releasing to Surplus.

If You are Surplusing a Device with Data (like a Computer)

To surplus a device with data, such as a computer, the data needs to be wiped by your IT staff or via the IT request system. Once you have the ticket request number, add that number next to the description of your equipment/device on the Surplus request form and email it to us and attach a copy to the device. ITS will make a determination based on the age and type of device, unless you are certain the device is salable, to either wipe and reinstall the drive so the device can be sold via Surplus Services or deliver to Surplus as E-waste so it can be properly recycled. 

Questions/comments? email

E-Waste Disposal

Surplus Operations is the UCSC Campus Faculty and Staff designated outlet for the disposal of electronic devices, including CRTs, etc.

Examples of Consumer Electronic Devices (CEDs) to be Handled by Surplus Operations

Computers, Monitors, Scanners, Printers, Keyboards, Mice, Battery backups, Cables, Circuit Boards,Microwaves, Lamps, Clocks, Flashlights, Calculators, Phones, Coffee Makers, Typewriters, etc.

For a more complete list of e-waste items, please visit the Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) E-Waste page. 


  • Thermostats (mercury switches) See Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S), Neema Mahini at (831) 459-4454 or Email with any questions concerning Hazardous Waste Handling and Disposal.
  • Refrigerators and freezers that are or have been used in laboratory settings must be cleared of contaminants through EH&S before disposal. Contact and for PBSci units, visit the PBSci Equipment Disposal page for more information. After EH&S approves the removal, Moving Services can be contracted to remove and dispose of these items properly. 
    Please contact (459-4066) for information about charges that will apply.

E-Waste Drop-Off Times

You can drop off your e-waste items at the H Barn without an appointment on Tuesdays and Thursdays, between 12:00PM and 3:00PM.

Request a Pick-Up

Once you are ready to surplus your property, please email to request a pick-up. Please include in your email the following information:

  • Contact Person
  • Phone Number
  • Email
  • Quantity and description of items to be picked-up
  • Requested pick-up date and time
  • Location of property.
  • FOAPAL to be charged

Please attach your UCSC Surplus Request Forms and Equipment Inventory Modification Request Forms if applicable.